Tuesday, January 31, 2012

I Wouldn't, But...

My 21-year-old daughter has three tattoos. I admit that when I saw the first one, I was devestated. I felt somehow that my baby was marred forever...which in some ways is true. It was no easier with the subsequent two and if she ever chooses to get another (more than one?), I'm pretty sure of how I will react. That being said, those tattoos and her choice to get them, are a part of who she is -- a sweet, funny, sunny, independent, expressive and 'bohemian' young woman. If she had been around in the 70s, she would have been a quintessential hippie. I love her more than I can say -- tattoos and all. If she had to get them, the one thing I can be thankful for is that the artist was magnificently talented and from a purely "art" perspective, the art itself is lovely.  :)
So, okay...I wouldn't...but if...just if...I were to get a tattoo, this would be it:


It is on the cover of one of the books in my vast collection of vintage sewing books.
It is only 1 1/2" high and 5/8" wide.
Here is the full cover of the book:


It is called "Essentials of Sewing", written by Rosamond C. Cook in 1924. I love my vintage sewing books. I especially love the illustrations. The books inspire me in so many ways, but this is one way I never expected. I'm pretty sure I won't follow through, but I did make the mistake of telling a few people, including my daughter, about this illustration and what I thought it could be used as. I have to admit though, as a 54 year-old mom of two grown, young women, the thought of it makes me smile just a little.

No comments: